All right, well, since you have basically tortured me into writing another debate, I will do so as efficiently as I can! I'm kidding about the tortured part, of course. I knew that it was high time for another debate, just my brain has not been able to think up anything to debate about, it has been silent. Just like this blog. Hah.
I don't have much time, but I will post my thoughts on the subject suggested "Which language is the most ridiculous". Thank you for the idea, Grace! It is appreciated.
Okay, well, I think that I agree with Grace, that English is a rather silly language! I have also heard that it is one of the most difficult ones to learn, because there are so many different ways to say something that means the same thing. And there are also rules that get broken quite frequently! English is not a law abiding citizen! It should be put in jail! Police! Okay, that was off on a cattle trail. Anyway, there are also several words in English that are spelled entirely different from how they are pronounced! Which makes it really hard to figure out what is the correct way to pronounce it! Especially for new readers, or new learners of the language. I mean, how are they supposed to know?
English also can be confusing at times. On which words should be used in certain sentences, because sometimes one word sounds right, but it really is not. And then another word sometimes can sound like it does fit, but really doesn't!
I agree with Josie, we should all learn German instead! I would really like to do that, actually! It has been a language I have always liked! =)
Hmmm, is there any more to say about the English language? It is silly. It is sometimes ridiculous. It is sometimes discombobulated! It is the English language. And that is all I have to say for right now. I might have more later, after I have had time to think on it. My brain needs some turbo-charging time right now though. Good bye folks! Please tell me what you think about this subject! Even if you think a different language is most ridiculous!
However, I must say, I don't really like Spanish either, because the Rosetta Stone program we have makes it really hard to understand it, and learn it correctly! It sometimes makes no sense whatsoever! Arg. Oh well.
14 comments:
Tortured, huh?? Heh heh. Oh, I see, your brain was silent... =P Yeah, you better go turbo-charge it!
I think sometimes why English words are not pronounced the way they look is because the words are borrowed directly from other languages, such as "chic," "chagrin," "brusquely," and "ennui", which come from French. (I learnt that from my Vocabulary book.)
I may have more debate later!
German is not my favorite... I think we should all learn Latin. It is very simple, understandable and basic.
You don't like Rosetta Stone huh? That is supposed to be the best language learning program! Maybe you just don't have a language tilted mind!
I like French a lot too.
Language tilted mind, huh? What's that supposed to mean? =P
I agree with what you said, Josie, about the reason why some words don't look the same as they are pronounced. It makes sense that they are that way since they are borrowed from other languages. That is very nice that you learnt that from your vocabulary book! Haha!
Aidyl, as for the language tilted mind...I don't know whether I have that or not. Who knows? I guess maybe I don't, but I can remember words in a lot of languages without too much trouble!
Latin, eh? Why Latin? I reckon it might be sort of easy, but I don't like it too terribly well. Oh well! That is nice that you do. =) Do you know any Latin?
Wow! Ya'll both have already answered me back!
What I meant by language tilted was that you might have a hard time learning languages because that is just not something your own personal brain is very good at. That is just the way some people are.
BTW I like the new look.
Do I know any Latin? Hehe... only so much as is incorporated in our language. I just like the way it sounds and when I've heard it is makes sense even if I don't know any. I think it is because English has a lot of similarities.
BTW I like live news watch thingy. It's cool to see!
Yep! I agree! The Live Traffic Feed is a lot of fun to be able to see! =)
Josie was the smart one who found it. I doubt I could have figured it out.
I disagree about English being a confusing language! It's actually very logical in it's grammar structure, the problem is that many people do not learn it properly. It is definitely a living language though; we do borrow words from other languages. :)
I agree with you on English being logical in it's grammar structure... yeah, it is very consistent in that! However, the pronunciation is still confusing! But that is mainly due to borrowing from other languages, so I guess it's not English's fault, but the fault of the other language and how they pronounce things! =P
Thank you so much for commenting, Chelsey! =) It made me so happy to see your comment on here today. =) Yeah, you know what, I kinda disagree with myself on this post! I actually don't mind the English language so much. It's not all that bad. It does get a bit annoying when you don't know how to pronounce something correctly, but that happens with all languages! You are right about English being good in grammar structure. Thank you for pointing that out! Hope to hear from you again! MERRY CHRISTMAS! =)
Think of English rules like pluralizing words. Most words have an "S" on the end to pluralize but there as always are a few exception. Such as "deer", "sheep" and others.
I had not ever thought of English as confusing until I started teaching E.S.L. (English as a second language). My Hyspanic student pointed out to me a lot of its flaws and how much more logical a language like Spanish was.
I do agree how ever that people ought to learn it correctly.
Good points, Aidyl! Thank you for sharing them! And yep, English may not seem too terribly confusing to those of us who speak it all the time, but for those trying to learn it as a second language, it can indeed be complicated at times!
But, yes, by all means! People ought to learn how to speak English correctly and to SPELL correctly too! Not picking on you at all, Aidyl! I was not even thinking about you, because you spell just fine!
Yeah, people ought to learn how to SPEAK English correctly! I can't stand it when people mix up their sentences and put the direct object before the subject and verb! For example, "The annual circus, my family makes a tradition." It is SUPPOSED to be, "My family makes the annual circus a tradition." And I keep hearing people do this! Why do people think they can do that? It's NOT correct English! And what made me REALLY mad was that my ENGLISH book did it today! The above example was what my English did.
I agree people (including me. :Z) should learn how to spell correctly.
Another ridiculousity of the English language is the past tense ending "ed". How in the world are you supposed to know when to use that or when the word completely changes? Of course us that have always grown up speaking English know and so it doesn't seem confusing. But to someone trying to learn our language...
Post a Comment