First of all, a couple of cow jokes. Please don't laugh!
Me: Knock, Knock.
You: Who's there?
Me: Cow.
You: Cow, who?
Me: Cows don't say "who", cows say "moo"!
Q: What do you call a grumpy cow?
A: Moo-dy.
Q: What do you call cattle with a sense of humor?
A: A laughing stock!
Below is a random selection of interesting or unusual facts about Cattle
Cattle are extremely curious creatures and investigate anything and everything.
Cattle have one stomach but it is divided into four compartments, the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum, the rumen being the largest compartment, this arrangement helps cattle to more efficiently digest grains and grasses.
Cattle are ruminants, this means that they have a digestive system that allows them to digest foods, which would otherwise be indigestible, by the process of repeated regurgitating and rechewing of food referred to as "cud". The cud is then reswallowed and further digested by specialised microrganisms in the rumen. The rumen holds up to an incredible 50 gallons of partially digested food.
Cattle chew their cud for up to 8 hours each day and they spend approximately six hours eating.
Cows eat about 40 pounds of food each day and drink 30 gallons of water, approximately a bathtub full.
Cattle drink water by the use of a sucking action, they do not lap up water like a cat or dog.
Cattle have an almost total 360-degree panoramic vision.
Cattle have an incredible sense of smell, they can detect odors up to five miles away and can they can hear low and high frequency sounds better than humans.
Cows are good mothers and have been known to walk for miles to find their calves.
Cattle have appeared on postage stamps. The example below is the United States one dollar stamp of 1898 trans-Mississippi issue. Known as the "Black Bull", this is often considered the finest design ever seen on a US stamp.
(they should make more cattle stamps!!!!)
And that's about all for right now. I would add pictures of cattle, but the only ones that I have on my computer are all ones that you've seen before. SORRY!
Have a good day anyway!
3 comments:
Thanks for all the info, Patty!
I REALLY like the stamp! They ought to bring it into circulation again! But it was invented in 1898??? Postage didn't cost a dollar back then! It was like a penny!
Sorry I am just now seeing this.
What does it mean when it says cows have a 360degree panoramic vision? That they can turn their heads to see 360 or that without turning their heads they can see 360. The first isn't that impressive but the latter would be!
Howdy Idalee!
Well, I greatly apologize for the VERY long delay in answering this question of yours! Honestly, I have not even LOOKED at our blog for several months. =( Oops. Maybe one of these days I will write on them again...but that ain't happening right now. I hope that is okay!
Anyway, in answer to your cattle question! I am fairly certain that the fact about cattle having 360 degree panoramic vision means that they can see all around them without turning their heads. So, yep, that is quite impressive, I would say! And you'd better watch out, because them cattle can see you! =P
Have a great year! Sorry...but it might be that long before I write on here again. Just kidding, hopefully!!!
Post a Comment